8 Benefits of Straight Pearly Whites
The American Association of Orthodontics says that there are more than four million Americans who wear some form of orthodontic equipment in order to obtain better oral health and straighten their teeth. Some people go their entire lives without worrying about their crooked teeth, but they are missing out. Here are the benefits of having a beautiful set of straight teeth:
- Easier Brushing – When your teeth overlap, food particles often get trapped between the teeth. When your teeth are straight, it's easier to efficiently brush and floss.
- Clearer Speech – Believe it or not, many speech impediments are caused by crooked teeth.
- Better Chewing – With crooked teeth, you aren't able to chew as effectively as you could with straight teeth. As a result, digestive problems could occur.
- More Prone to Accidents – When your teeth are crooked and protruding, they are at risk of breaking and other damage. This is especially true during sports since protective mouth guards likely won't fit as they should.
- Fewer Headaches – When teeth wear unevenly, as they do with crowded teeth, the jaw sustains significant pressure. This can result in some serious headaches.
- Improved Gum Health – With straight teeth, your oral health is improved because there is nowhere for food particles to hide. So, you have a lower risk of developing gum disease and losing teeth.
- Enhanced Overall Health – Because better oral health results in fewer cavities and tooth decay, you are able to lower your risk of high blood sugar and heart disease – both of which have been linked to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Boosted Confidence – With a straight set of beautiful teeth, you will have more confidence while at school or work and in a variety of social situations. This will help improve your school/work performance as well as your relationships.
These are just some of the primary benefits of straight teeth, as there are many more. If you are suffering from crooked and crowded teeth, it's time to visit an orthodontist and see which options are available for your individual situation so that you can start reaping the benefits.