5 Helpful Tips for Maintaining Your Braces and Teeth
Share this post
It’s vitally important that you know how to take care of your braces and teeth when you begin orthodontic treatment. Otherwise, the braces may not stay intact, which means that they can’t do their job. Plus, you want to take care of your teeth while you have braces so that your teeth look great once the treatment is completed. Here are a few tips to help you ensure your treatment in our orthodontic office is a success:
- Flossing – It’s crucial that you floss after each meal or at least twice a day. Especially with braces, there are many places that your toothbrush can miss, and the floss will reach these areas. A floss threader is recommended to navigate around your braces safely.
- Brushing – Using soft, gentle strokes, you need to brush your teeth after each meal. Fluoride toothpaste can be used, and it’s beneficial if you use an interdental toothbrush that helps to reach under the wires.
- Elastics – At some point during your orthodontic treatment, you’ll need to wear rubber bands or elastics. These are vital to the success of your treatment and they should always be worn. Just one day of not wearing the bands can cause your teeth to move. The bands can be removed when brushing your teeth and eating. You need to make sure that you have plenty of extras and that you are using the right size.
- Food – Make sure that you avoid hard, chewy and sticky foods, such as caramel, gum, nuts, hard candy and ice. Opt for softer foods that won’t get stuck on the wires and pull on them.
- Damage – If your braces get damaged in any way, it is crucial that you give your orthodontist a call immediately. The sooner you can get it to have the damage fixed, the less damage that will be done to your teeth and the success that has already been achieved with your smile.
If you have any questions, give us a call or request an appointment.