5 Steps to Properly Caring for and Maintaining Your Dentures
When you get fitted with dentures, it is important that you learn what you need to do in order to take care of them. You finally have your smile back and the last thing you want is to damage that smile by doing something wrong in terms of caring for your dentures. Here are a few tips to help keep your dentures in good shape:
- Daily Home Cleaning – Bacteria will form on your dentures throughout the day, so it is critical that you clean your dentures each and every day to remove this biofilm buildup. This will help minimize your risk of developing inflammation underneath the dentures.
- Avoid Boiling – Although you do need to clean your dentures every day, you need to make sure that you never use boiling water to do so. This can cause the dentures to warp and suffer severe damage. In most cases, you’ll need a new pair.
- Store in Water – When you aren’t wearing your dentures, it is vital that you keep your dentures immersed in water. This helps keep them from warping. Just make sure that the water is clean, as well as the container.
- Avoid 24/7 Wear – As mentioned above, cleaning is important. The best time to do this is at night while you’re sleeping. This gives your mouth a rest from the dentures, which will delay natural bone loss from the pressure of the dentures and reduce your risk of inflammation.
- Annual Professional Cleaning – While you can clean your dentures at home, it is recommended to have your dentures undergo a professional cleaning at least once a year. At this time, your dentures will be checked to ensure they still function and fit as they should.
For more advice on keeping your dentures in tip-top shape or to schedule an appointment, give us a call.